My horse and our goals to become a team

Home 2022 Community Introduce Your Horse(s) & Goals My horse and our goals to become a team

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Debbie Mcdonald
    Participant

Rosie is a 12 year old 16+ hand quarter horse, who was used for racing at one time. Other than the lip markings used for race horses, her past and training past is unknown. She was rescued from starvation last Feb by a local rescue who brought her back to health and placed some amount of training on her. After a few weeks of sponsorship at the rescue, we decided to adopt her as we seemed to be a good match. Her attitude is so sweet, willing, loves attention and smart. At the rescue she was relaxed and calm, but not at our home. Since she has been brought to our home, she seems not to be adjusting to things in the farming area that we live in, like traffic even with the small amount we have at distances 300 to 1,200 feet away, dogs barking two 5 acres down, atv sounds, runs at the site of children and does like the over grown lot next to us. For the first two weeks after she arrived, she was in flight mode all the time, so I gave her time to relax doing mostly groundwork, a couple rides and spending time with her. It has been over a month now and she still will not calm. I work her on the ground in the area that worries her, worked with desensitization tools, respect exercises, side passing on the ground and longlining rating speed using body language, which she does very well all above. Under saddle she is stopping with just seat, turning with body weight and very light rein, extends walk off seat movement, nice trot and very light in the face, all good points. Her bad points are being a little lazy going into a trot, holding trot without going down to a walk, and still the flight issue. An example: Today she was working well until saw a car on the road over 1,200 feet away, which set her in flight mode and with each change of direction I did to get her mind back, her head went higher, back got shorter, more upset she got to the point I had to turn her into the gate and get off. I ground schooled her again in the are she hates, worked on respect and got back on working her for 15 minutes. Rosie is a really nice horse in so many ways, but I need help with the flight issues she still has even with groundwork and desensitizing. I have had many years in the saddle with showing/training western pleasure horses, trail riding and working with abused Paso Finos (with one Paso being written about in the No Worries Club Journal), but because of back injuries from an auto accident have not been in the saddle in over 3 years. I wanted to find the best program for Rosie, that is why I joined MG as I believe she will excel in it.

Debbie Mcdonald
    Participant

Also the rescue I purchased her from had written in the agreement to help with any issues I had with her after she came home and we agreed she would stay on their farm for two months with coaching, but I had to bring her home after one month, because after two weeks I was not getting any help on site and have called several times for help since she came home and received no reply to phone calls for help. The rescue had her starting in March until I purchased her in Nov. Rosie was very different very calm horse at the rescue, but needed more saddle hours. Here she goes on high alert with everything including hearing the cows talking far off. I think purchasing a horse from a high quality rescue for $4,500 one should be able go out throw up a saddle and go out for a trail ride without issues after bring her home, but this horse is unsafe riding in my pasture and requires groundwork first before riding. For me she will never be a trail horse that can be ridden off the property or safe for me to ride even in the pasture with her flight issues. The only thing I changed is the feed from a low maintenance feed to a mix of half maintenance feed and half senior as she needed a little weight and a pat once a day of alfalfa (which I stopped feeding alfalfa recently) and coastal hay is in her pasture 24/7. She is outside with a stall she can come in and out of 24/7 and a 3 1/2 acre open pasture. It has gotten to the point I am fearful of riding her at all and spent everything saved to purchase her, so there is no money left to send her off for training and if the rescue takes her back, I lose my money, plus they control who would purchase her if I sold her, which no one wants a flighty horse. I am giving her a chance to change using MG with a hopes of being able to ride her in the pasture safely but she will never make a trail horse for me to ride off the property.

Debbie Mcdonald
    Participant

The rescue has started sending their trainer over to work with Rosie and me, now that things have balanced out for them. They offered to take her back if things do not change with the help of the trainer and replace her with a different horse, but right now they do not have a horse of the same quality I paid for that is trained. It is great to work with a high quality rescue who cares about the horses and the people who adopt.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.